Under the supervision of the Component Laboratory Supervisor and Hospital Services Manager, the Laboratory Assistant (LA) is responsible for assisting Laboratory Technicians in both the Component Laboratory and Hospital Services area in the performance of various procedures and tasks.
1. Receives and prepares whole blood and apheresis blood components.
2. Receives orders from customers and selects and prepares appropriate components for
3. Inspects, labels, quarantines and destroys (discards) blood components.
4. Packs blood samples and submits test orders for required donor testing.
5. Performs routine maintenance and quality control procedures in the Component Laboratory
and Hospital Services areas.
6. Performs routine blood component inventory functions in Hospital Services area.
7. Recognizes common equipment and procedural problems and takes appropriate initial
response, communicates and performs follow-up.
8. Properly processes components returned from hospital customers.
9. Follows organizational policies and procedures and performs duties in compliance with
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Previous medical/clinical laboratory experience desirable.
2. High School graduate or equivalent.
3. College graduate in field of science preferred.
1. Good oral, reading and written communication skills with the ability to give detailed information
or instructions, ask questions that can be easily understood, and read, comprehend and apply
information contained in written materials. Clear and legible handwriting.
2. Good listening skills with the ability to receive and comprehend detailed oral or written
3. Good assessment, judgment and problem-solving skills with ability to recognize areas of
concern, clarify information that is needed and come up with possible solutions.
4. Good interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to work with and service diverse
individuals and provide excellent customer service.
5. Detail oriented and accurate.
6. Good organizational and time management skills with ability to multi-task and maintain
composure and professionalism when working under time constraints.
7. Ability to work independently and as part of a team to productively collaborate and meet goals/objectives.
1. Professional, business-like appearance
2. Good attendance
3. Flexible with schedule – able to adjust to varying work schedule and days off
4. Professional attitude/behavior towards job responsibilities and internal/external customers.
5. PPE’s-Appropriate personal protective equipment to be worn in the laboratory at all times.
Drug testing and physical examination required for all positions.